Monday, December 17, 2012

Book recommendations!

I haven't done much the past weekend besides visiting an old friend of mine who just finished her finals and can finally enjoy her holidays!!! It was really fun!!! We played Scrabble, talked, and played with her new kitten called "Tati", a beautiful 3 months old siamese (:


(Hahaha that's me and Tati! I have this awesome app on my phone called "GirlCamera" and I can put
all those cute stuff around pictures, I'm addicted to it!)





I always borrow book from this friend, and she just gave me two this time: "The Bell Jar" by Sylvia Plath and "The Perks Of  Being A Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky, and since my mom and I didn't decide to go on a trip to pick my grandma for Christmas, I just stayed at home and read for the whole weekend and guess what? I finished both!


  • The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

I really like Sylvia Plath because I feel like I can relate to her a lot (which is, to be honest, a bit worrying considering how tough her life was) and I've been dying to read this book for a few years now...It's a bit hard to find these books here in Argentina because, believe it or not, they're considered a bit "rare", yet, my friend found it (in Spanish of course, I have to say it's not the same as in English...) and yay! I was so happy!
But then, when I read it...I was having some mixed feelings about the book...I mean, I read Sylvia Plath's poems and a lot of fragments from "The Bell Jar" before and I absolutely loved them! But I really don't know what happened when I read the entire novel...Maybe it's because it's in Spanish, and some deep quotes get a bit "lost in translation" but I wasn't fascinated as I was before...Still, it's a good book and I feel I can relate to some things that she wrote. 7.5/10

  • The Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Okay, this book got INCREDIBLY famous among "hipsters" and people from Tumblr thanks to the famous quote "And in that moment I swear we were infinite" and since people kept on taking and taking it out of context, everyone started to make fun of this and it started to get a totally overrated book made for people who suffer from the "special snowflake syndrome" and let me tell you...What a bunch of LIES.
It's been a while since I've been wanting to read this book (and the urge increased as soon as I watched the trailer for the movie featuring Ezra Miller (TOTAL BABE!!!), Emma Watson (biggest role model ever) and Logan Lerman) and I clearly refused to read it in Spanish, and then, again, my friend owns a copy which she lost but recently found again, and gave it to me.
WOW. Wow....That's all I have to say about this book...It's incredibly how underestimated it is!!! This novel is definitely one of the most beautiful, real and subtle stories I've ever read...It's so amazing, and real, and sad, and happy, and beautiful...I LOVED IT! I can't really put into words what this book made me feel...I don't know if it's an accurate thing to say that this book has a lot of "wisdom" in it but it DEFINITELY has a lot of stuff that's completely true! Yet, it's not a book for everyone...Not everyone can really understand the beauty and the real meaning of this book, and I can guarantee you people who keep quoting "and in that moment I swear we were infinite" as if it was some kind of life motto or the most inspirational quote ever or the best quote from the whole book they definitely didn't understand the book AT ALL.I really think it's a shame this is the most emblematic quote when it comes to this great story...But yeah, I'm glad I read it and it's definitely on my all time favorite list! 10/10
I can't wait to see the movie!!! I'm so glad the picked such an awesome cast and that Stephen Chbosky himself adapted it and directed it (:   (and omg!!! ezra miller is SO handsome ughhh)


xoxo
Lupe

No comments:

Post a Comment